Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate,
- 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada.
- +1 202-501-4444 from outside the United States.
For more information, visit Emergencies
and What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis.
Do you have a question about your U.S. passport? Visit the Frequently Asked Questions
page first. If you need to expedite your application, visit the Get My Passport Fast
Visit the Contact U.S. Passports
page for more information.
Routine Passport Requests
Customer service representatives are available Mondays through Fridays 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern (excluding federal holidays).
- Call 1-877-487-2778
- Email NPIC@state.gov
Life-or-Death Emergency Passport Service
We prioritize customers who are traveling internationally in the next three business days due to a qualified life-or-death emergency.
Visit the Life-or-Death Emergencies
page to learn if you are eligible.
Urgent Travel Service
Make an appointment
if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (ET), Mondays through Fridays. Our appointment line for urgent travel service is closed on weekends and federal holidays.
To contact the National Visa Center
, use the Public Inquiry Form
If you need to submit a form or document to the NVC, visit the Submit Documents to the NVC
For more information, visit the U.S. Visas
- International Parental Child Abduction in Progress. To report a child abduction in progress, call 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada or + 1 202-501-4444 from outside the United States.
- Lost or Stolen Passport. Report your physical U.S. passport lost or stolen immediately to protect yourself from identity theft.
- U.S. Passport or Visa Fraud. If you are aware of, or have been a victim of, fraud associated with a U.S. passport or U.S. visa application, please contact PassportVisaFraud@state.gov.
If your question is not answered on the Intercountry Adoption
website and does not fall under the authority of the agencies/offices noted
on the Intercountry Adoption Contacts
page, reach out to the Office of Children’s Issues by email at Adoption@state.gov.
- Bureaus and Offices.The Department consists of bureaus and offices responsible for handling various interests and policy initiatives.
- Job Seeker Resources. Learn about career paths and opportunities.
- Student Resources. Gain insight into U.S. foreign policy and diplomacy, explore new career avenues, and acquire lifelong skills as you represent America to the world.
- Freedom of Information Act. To check the status of a request for Department of State records, you may contact the FOIA Requester Service Center by phone at (202) 261-8484.
Contact Us Form
Please complete this form only if you have an inquiry unrelated to the topics above. Do not use this form for questions related to passports, overseas citizen services, visas, or to get assistance in an emergency.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee we will be able to respond to all inquiries.