Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Please Wait....

Privacy Act Notice

Contact Us

Emergencies Abroad

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call:
  • 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada.
  • +1 202-501-4444 from outside the United States.
For more information, visit Emergencies and What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis.


Do you have a question about your U.S. passport? Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page first. If you need to expedite your application, visit the Get My Passport Fast page.
Visit the Contact U.S. Passports page for more information.

Routine Passport Requests

Customer service representatives are available Mondays through Fridays 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern (excluding federal holidays).
  • Call 1-877-487-2778
  • Email

Life-or-Death Emergency Passport Service

We prioritize customers who are traveling internationally in the next three business days due to a qualified life-or-death emergency. Visit the Life-or-Death Emergencies page to learn if you are eligible.

Urgent Travel Service

Make an appointment if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (ET), Mondays through Fridays. Our appointment line for urgent travel service is closed on weekends and federal holidays.


To contact the National Visa Center, use the Public Inquiry Form. If you need to submit a form or document to the NVC, visit the Submit Documents to the NVC page.
For more information, visit the U.S. Visas page.


Check Status


If your question is not answered on the Intercountry Adoption website and does not fall under the authority of the agencies/offices noted on the Intercountry Adoption Contacts page, reach out to the Office of Children’s Issues by email at


  • Bureaus and Offices.The Department consists of bureaus and offices responsible for handling various interests and policy initiatives.
  • Job Seeker Resources. Learn about career paths and opportunities.
  • Student Resources. Gain insight into U.S. foreign policy and diplomacy, explore new career avenues, and acquire lifelong skills as you represent America to the world.
  • Freedom of Information Act. To check the status of a request for Department of State records, you may contact the FOIA Requester Service Center by phone at (202) 261-8484.

Contact Us Form

Please complete this form only if you have an inquiry unrelated to the topics above. Do not use this form for questions related to passports, overseas citizen services, visas, or to get assistance in an emergency.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee we will be able to respond to all inquiries.
*= Required

Please limit your message to 5,000 characters. characters used.

This question serves to prevent automated spam submissions